Wednesday, June 25, 2008

NBA Draft 2008


Anyone remember when we Kings fans collectively said, "What the f*@k just happened?" when Peja Stojakovic was selected at 14?  I'd do that over again if I could. 

As we approach draft day for the NBA on Thursday,  I can't help but get caught up in all the hype.  Jermaine O'neal has already been moved from Indy to Toronto for another eternally injured player in T.J. Ford.  Portland bought the 27th pick from New Orleans, and Michael Jordan's Bobcats swooped up the 20th pick from the Denver Nuggets, and there will certainly be plenty of other trades to come before the ball drops.  Also, the Miami Heat are reportedly not interested in Michael Beasley (they'd have to be crazy not to take him), being more enamored with O.J. Mayo.  And... Baron Davis might be on the move; New York/Detroit lining up as possible suitors.  

But, what about the Sacramento Kings?  Apparently, locked in at the twelve spot, the Kings have a myriad of choices to ponder.  More specifically two needs on the roster; whether Beno Udrih re-signs for the MLE or not, they could use a point guard, and the more obvious need is at the power forward.  Miki Moore is nothing more than an 8th man on the roster, good for an energy injection here-and-there, but definitely not a "true" starter.  Here's a select list that the Kings might have a chance for at 12:

PG:

PF:

Bayless and Westbrook are long-shots, but you never can tell who will slip in the draft!  If either are still around at the 12 spot you take them.  I'm not completely sold on Chalmers' upside, so Augustin seems to me like the best point guard possibility.  Between Randolph and Arthur, I'd take Randolph with hopes that his upside pans out over time.  If I were to have my choice of the six listed (throw in Roy Hibbert and a couple of foreigners) I'd take Bayless based on sheer talent alone!  My most likely selection would be Augustin.  

I surely hope that the Kings are able to sign Beno, and move any combination of Douby, Abdur-Rahim, Thomas, Artest, Moore, Williams, Wright, Johnson and (yes!) Garcia.  Hopefully, they can come out of the draft with a surprise talent and make a run at a playoff spot next year.  

No matter what happens, I ultimately trust whatever Geoff Petrie does, be it draft selections or trades.  I'm of the opinion that the man knows what he's doin'.  

And, it's funny how much fun the NBA off-season can be; draft, free agency, training camps, trades, etc.  It all solidifies my love for "The League."  

Go Kings!!!!!!!!!

L.B.M.

2 comments:

jt said...

Dude...I was all set to completely agree w/ you on the (great) post, and then you threw in the Franky G Move Option...Not good!

'Cisco is a hungry mufucka, and has shown the ability to play Button Down D, hit the 3 in amazing streaks, and be a serious addition to the team off the bench...shit, I wouldn't be mad at him gettin Mad Run. I think we haven't seen the best of him yet, and a certain psychotic and delusional SF appears to be preventing Garcia from gettin over.

Reading over the links you provide (nice work!), it's hard not to get hyped on Bayless, being compared to Agent 0 and being called a smarter version of Montae is good company indeed. Plus, from what I've been hearin, Beno is hardly a lock to re-sign w/ Sacto. My opinion is that though Beno looked good last season, I find it rather hard to believe that a team will offer more than the MLE.

I'm just lookin forward to see what happens today!

J

jt said...

Ok buddy...now I gotta know what you think of Mr. Petrie's draft status...from what I've been reading online, it ain't good...

Thoughts?

J