Thursday, June 19, 2008

CHICO, HEEEYYY!!!!!!

Let me start by putting this little bit of personal info. out there;  I don't like live hip-hop music.  I am of the opinion that most rap artists, while extremely talented in the studio, are marginally talented when it comes to the stage.  While they are well apt at working the crowd into a collective stupor, something is lost in translation between microphone and monitor.  I think it can mostly be attributed to a couple of factors; the party schedule of rappers on the road, the inability to use take-after-take to get the lyrics and tone spot on, and the blinding pointlessness of the "Hype Man."  The latter of which is where my major beef is dry aged.  The Hype Man can take a decent hip-hop show and turn it into an Excedren sized headache.  

Snoop came to our steamy little town a few nights ago and changed all that for me!  For someone whose interest in rap was solidified when Dr. Dre's The Chronic came out, seeing Snoop Dogg at a small venue is a slice of rap-heaven pie.  He's unarguably one of the top 10 rappers of all time!  And his catalogue of hits proves his prowess at the top of Mt. Mass Apeal.  I would think its not too far fetched to guess that 90% of the Chico CA crowd that night was white, yet Snoop made us country bumpkins feel like his homies.  He smoked our weed and killed his set.  DEFINITELY worth the 50 bucks.  Big ups Snoop!

L.B.M.

1 comment:

jt said...

Dude, I gotta tell ya, I am SO W/ THAT when it comes to the Hype Man. It's like, I didn't pay to see some brotha w/ no discernible skills shout obscenities into an amplified stick, forcing my ear drums to go into shock from the tone deaf aspect of his cries...

This post made me wanna cry that I missed this thing...I'm pleasantly suprised he smoked local herbs, that doesn't always happen from my experience...you go Snoop!